We're open on Memorial Day.
Erie Helping Hands and Erie Humboldt Park health centers will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, May 31 for urgent care and telehealth appointments.
Call 312-666-3494 (city) or 847-666-3494 (suburbs) to make an appointment.
AdvancingPractice is a one-year fellowship that builds on nurse practitioner (NP) and nurse midwife (CNM) academic programs to prepare recently-graduated NPs and CNMs to become expert clinicians as well as nursing leaders. Erie Family Health Centers (Erie), a federally qualified health center in Chicago with over 80,000 patients, and the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing (UIC Nursing) have partnered to create this program with the goal of expanding access to affordable, quality healthcare in under-resourced communities.
Our Mission: We cultivate quality care and nursing leadership to improve the health of communities through development and mentorship of advanced practice registered nurses.
Our Vision: Advanced practice registered nurses leading transformation to achieve health equity.
Learn More About Advancing Practice
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2021 Cohort. Information about applying to the 2022 Cohort will be available in the Fall of 2021. Join our mailing list to hear more news as it becomes available!
Open Houses Coming Soon!
We’ll let you know as soon as we have another open house available. Please reach out to us at AdvancingPractice@eriefamilyhealth.org with questions or to learn more about the program.
- Learn from the best! Erie is a national leader in quality of care and top Chicago workplace. It employs over 50 APRNs within a truly collaborative practice model.
- UIC Nursing—known for having one of the nation’s top 10 APRN degree programs—has developed a robust curriculum for the AdvancingPractice program that supports newly graduated APRNs in community health practice.
- The fellowship model was selected and funded by the US Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) from a competitive pool of applicants.
- As the inaugural class, you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape and grow the program.
- Serve patients across Erie’s 13 locations, including primary care, school-based and teen-only settings.
- Participate in paid medical Spanish immersion. You’ll be able to travel abroad for two weeks to learn Spanish as part of the program.
- Live and work in one of the nation’s largest and most vibrant cities.
- Access UIC career services and the largest health sciences library in the Midwest.
- Receive fellowship salary, benefits, continuing medical education allowance and paid time-off.
AdvancingPractice is a one-year intensive training program that builds on nurse practitioner (NP) and nurse midwife (CNM) academic programs to prepare recently graduated NPs and CNMs to become expert clinicians as well as nursing leaders. Key components include:
- Precepted “Continuity Clinics”
(4 sessions/week) These are the cornerstone of Advancing In precepted clinics, fellows develop their own patient panel while being precepted by an Erie APRN or MD.
- Specialty Rotations:
(2 sessions/week for 1 month) Specialty rotations in areas most commonly encountered at Erie. Select rotations include: Adolescent Health, HIV Care, Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT), Women’s Health, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and others.
- Mentored Clinics:
(2 sessions/week) During mentored clinics, work alongside an experienced PCP on episodic or acute care and mastery of procedures.
- Educational Sessions:
(1 session/week) Evidence-based, didactic learning sessions on both clinical and leadership topics.
- Quality Improvement Training:
Participants will design and implement their own quality improvement project throughout the year.
Natalie Raghu, MSN, FNP-C, APRN
Fellow Development Lead