Recently Accredited by the Consortium for Advanced Practice Providers!
Click here for more info.
AdvancingPractice is a one-year paid fellowship that builds on nurse practitioner (NP) and nurse midwife (CNM) academic programs to prepare recently-graduated NPs and CNMs to become expert clinicians as well as nursing leaders. Erie Family Health Centers (Erie), a federally qualified health center in Chicago with over 85,000 patients, and the University of Illinois Chicago College of Nursing (UIC Nursing) have partnered to create this program with the goal of expanding access to affordable, quality healthcare in under-resourced communities.
We develop and mentor the next generation of advanced practice registered nurses to ensure a workforce of primary care providers who deliver high-quality, holistic healthcare to underserved communities. Through nursing leadership and promoting diversity, we are committed to eliminating structural barriers and other systems of oppression to positively impact the workforce and the health of communities.
Advanced practice registered nurses transforming healthcare to achieve health equity and justice.
Learn More About Advancing Practice
The application period for the 2023-2024 cohort is closed. Information about how to apply to the 2024-2025 cohort will be available in the fall.
There are no more scheduled Open Houses for the 2023-2024 Cohort.
- Learn from the best! Erie is a national leader in quality of care and top Chicago workplace. It employs over 50 APRNs within a truly collaborative practice model.
- UIC Nursing—known for having one of the nation’s top 10 APRN degree programs—has developed a robust curriculum for the AdvancingPractice program that supports newly graduated APRNs in community health practice.
- The fellowship model was selected and funded by the US Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) from a competitive pool of applicants.
- Serve patients across Erie’s 13 locations, including primary care, school-based and teen-only settings.
- Participate in paid medical Spanish training to better serve our patient population.
- Live and work in one of the nation’s largest and most vibrant cities.
- Access UIC career services and the largest health sciences library in the Midwest.
- Receive fellowship salary, benefits, continuing medical education allowance and paid time-off.
AdvancingPractice is a one-year training program that builds on nurse practitioner (NP) and nurse midwife (CNM) academic programs to prepare recently graduated NPs and CNMs to become expert clinicians as well as nursing leaders. Key components include:
- Continuity Clinics
(2 days/week) Build your own patient panel and provide continuity of care to patients with the support and guidance of a preceptor.
- Specialty Clinic:
(2 day/week for 1 month) Rotate through sub-specialty clinics within primary care to better understand holistic care, such as Adolescent Health, HIV Care, Women’s Health, Pediatrics, Chronic Diseases, and others.
- Mentored Clinics:
(1 day/week) Work alongside an experienced PCP on episodic or acute care and mastery of procedures.
- Educational Sessions:
(1 day/week) Participate in evidence-based, didactic learning sessions on both clinical and leadership topics.
- Quality Improvement Training:
Design and implement your own quality improvement project during the Fellowship year.
- Intrapatrum/On Call – CNM Fellows Only (One 24-Hour Call per Week) Provide intrapartum and postpartum care at Northwestern Memorial Hospital with support of midwifery mentors.
AdvancingPractice is an accredited postgraduate Nurse Practitioner training program by the Consortium for Advanced Practice Providers.
The Consortium for Advanced Practice Providers has set forth eight accreditation standards, which AdvancingPractice has met in full. These eight standards provide approaches to validate the quality of the postgraduate training program. For more information about the accreditation standards and/or the Consortium for Advanced Practice Providers, please visit https://www.apppostgradtraining.com/.
Fellows as well as any visitors to this site can provide a public comment about our program at https://www.apppostgradtraining.com/accreditation/accreditation-status-and-public-commentary/
MSN, APRN, FNP-BC
APRN Fellowship Director
MSN, FNP-C, APRN
Faculty and Academic Practice Partnership Lead
Esther Sault, MSN
Program Administrative Manager
MSN, CNM, WHNP-BC, IBCLC, C-EFM
Women's Reproductive Health Lead
DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
DNP, APRN, ACNP-BC
Health Education Specialist
PhD, FNP-BC, FAAN, FAANP
Evaluation Coordinator and Fellowship Consultant
MSN, CNM, WHNP