Get started debt free in a career in healthcare! Erie partners with the National Institute of Medical Assistant Advancement (NIMAA) to train individuals interested in pursuing a career as a Medical Assistant (MA).
In only 8 months you could be prepared for a rewarding career in community health.
The $6,600 tuition cost will be fully covered by Erie Family Health Centers for students who agree to work for Erie for a minimum of 2,500 paid hours upon graduation.
The application fee is $25 (non-refundable).
Applications for Spring 2024 open September 27, 2023
Early decision deadline: October 25, 2023
Regular application deadline: November 29, 2023
- 8 month long part-time program, including flexible online learning and hands-on in-clinic experience.
- Clinical experience begins right away, students must spend at least 240 hours in clinic.
- Erie’s March cohorts train out of Erie’s two suburban locations, Erie Evanston/ Skokie located in Evanston and Erie HealthReach Waukegan located in Waukegan
- Erie’s September cohorts train out of two of Erie’s city-based sites, Erie Division Street and Erie Helping Hands
- As it is a part-time program, many students keep an part-time outside job.
- NIMAA’s graduation rate is 89%
- Students must be 18 years of age or older by completion of the program.
- Proof of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Valid proof of identification.
- Application fee: $25 (non-refundable)
- Program fees: $760
- Tuition fees: $6,660*
*Fully covered by Erie Family Health Centers for students who agree to work for Erie for a minimum of 2,500 paid hours upon graduation. Loan details available upon application.
The National Institute for Medical Assistant Advancement (NIMAA) is a nonprofit education institute that trains Medical Assistants to work effectively in today’s high-performing primary care settings. Students gain hands-on learning in leading primary care clinics, including Erie Family Health Centers.
Erie Family Health Centers currently trains more than 200 healthcare students and professionals each year, making it a leader in medical education. Erie is a nationally-recognized community health center with a respected 62-year history of providing high-quality, comprehensive health care to all members of the family. Erie now serves more than 80,000 patients at 13 state-of-the art health centers across Chicago and the northern suburbs.
The program is 29-weeks long and requires a commitment of approximately 30 hours/week. Each student’s weekly schedule varies based on their assigned clinical time and online content can be completed on their own schedule.
There is a $25 application fee due at the time of application and $760 of book, material and exam fees ($540 due at the beginning of the program, $220 due by approximately the midpoint of the program).
See the NIMAA tuition and fee page for more information. If accepted into the Erie program, Erie can pay the $6,000 tuition payment directly to NIMAA on the students behalf in the form of an interest-free loan. All other fees are the student’s responsibility to pay directly to NIMAA by the dates indicated.
Yes, you may can apply, but a high school diploma or GED certificate must be completed prior to the program start date.
Erie Family Health Centers’ MA Externship Sites
Erie Evanston/Skokie Health Center
1285 Hartrey Avenue
Erie HealthReach Waukegan Health Center
2323 Grand Avenue